Thursday, August 27, 2026

Structural Ridgeline For Hammocks

 If you saw Mondays video on CJ In The Woods, I showed you how to make a fixed structural ridgeline for a hammock. Yesterday I went out and tested it.




I personally did not feel a lot of difference. It felt a little flatter on a diagonal lay, but not as much as I'd read or heard. It did allow me to have a visual aid in set up as I could see if it was level or the foot or head area were higher or lower then the other.

But, something I did not read about or see in videos (at least in my research) was that you lose between 1' to 2' of the useable length.
When you attach the SR (structural ridgeline) you bring the ends in towards center. By doing this you create a sag. As with any sag, you lose length from end to end. That might be an issue if your a really tall person. It certainly is an issue with your suspension. As you saw in the above video I had to set up three times. I sort of knew the first was too short, but the second would have worked fine without that SR attached. My daisy chains are 9', and using the SR, I might be better off buying a set of 11' to make up for the length lost using said SR. It's not just about the right sag but also in keeping the 35* angle on your suspension. Just something to keep in mind if your thinking about an SR for your hammock. 


Structural Ridgeline For Hammocks

 If you saw Mondays video on CJ In The Woods, I showed you how to make a fixed structural ridgeline for a hammock. Yesterday I went out and ...